Thursday, February 10, 2011

You've got mail!

Valentine's Day is almost here...I guess you'd have to be living under a rock not to know that by now, lol! Signs of "love day" are everywhere...
Valentine decorations and displays in the stores...heart-shaped cupcakes and cookies in bakeries...commercials on the radio and TV, hawking everything from flowers to jewelry as the perfect gift for your special someone.

Speaking of gifts, I have a project to share that makes a great Valentine's Day gift...or it could be a gift for a loved one at any time of the year, really. Ever seen those adorable little mini mailboxes? That's the basis of this project, which not only makes it very cute, but also very inexpensive, too!


This particular mailbox is made of a heavy cardboard material and I got it from Oriental Trading. (I actually purchased multiple sets of these as a craft for my son's class Valentine party at school one year. They were perfect for the kids to decorate and put all their little valentines in!) I have also bought metal ones from the Target dollar spot and the craft stores. They all work great and are so fun to create! On this version, I used patterned papers and stickers from Reminisce. They have lots of product lines that are great for Valentine's Day and love-themed projects like this! Check out Be Mine, Crazy in Love, Flirt, The Love Collection, The Love Collection 2007, and Valentine's Night

I also added some large glittered flowers, ribbons, and a scalloped border. Here's another photo so you can see what the other side of the mailbox looks like:


I made a tag to look like a little letter and tied it onto the ribbon. I also included a love-themed quote: "For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it." - Ivan Panin

So, I said this would make a great gift...but I guess it also doubles as a gift-wrap, too! There are lots of ways you can use this cute little mailbox. I already mentioned that it's perfect for holding the class valentines given to your school-aged kiddos. It would also be a great way to package a gift card! How about filling it with candy or other treats for your sweetie? You could also get a bit more creative and make some special "love coupons" or small cards to put inside. You could even put a mini-album in it!


I think it still works as an anytime-gift for a loved one, too. You could leave little love notes or trinkets in it when they need a pick-me-up, or when you want them to know you're thinking of them, or even on random days "just because." How fun would it be to see the little flag raised up on your mailbox letting you know that...you've got mail!

Hope you enjoyed this little project...have a LOVE-ly Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Lisa Dorsey said...

Adorable Heather! Miss you too. We will have to find time to get together after I move/

Robin Gibson said...

SUPER CUTE Heather!! Great job!!