Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dixie Pieces March Kit: Project #1

Today I'm going to share some details on one of the layouts I made with the March 2011 kit from Dixie Pieces as their Guest Designer this month.

I noticed right away all the bold, bright colors in the kit, but there are also a good mix of blue and aqua tones, as well as some sea-themed paper, which was the inspiration for this layout:


All the supplies on this layout are from the kit, and I also used some white cardstock, and a bit of ink, paint, and Stickles. I started out with the sheet of die-cut paper, cutting the outside edge to use as a border on the patterned paper background. I cut a strip of the October Afternoon Seaside paper along the wave pattern and layered it over the Lakeshore cardstock, tucking the photo under the waves. I used a punched border that had a wave-like pattern in it to fill in the bottom of the die-cut shape. As I was about to toss the negative "confetti" pieces from the punch into the trash, I thought the little wave shapes might be cool to use somewhere else on the page, and I ended up adhering them across the photo.


LOVE the way this looks...I'll have to pay more attention to my "throw-away" pieces from now on!

I did the journaling on the computer using a graduated fill color in the text box. I repeated the large die-cut shape, using some smaller similar shaped pieces that I layered for the title. I brushed some Stickles on the large title letters to add a bit of sparkle.


The finishing touch was the cluster of flowers, which I made with shapes punched from the papers and cardstock. I also added a bit of paint and Stickles to the edges of the flowers. These paper roses are so simple but so pretty!


I really love how this page turned out...the papers in the Dixie Pieces kit were just perfect! I was trying to capture the beauty and serenity of the view from that pool, and I think it does the job! It sure makes me wish I was back there again...of course, who wouldn't want to trade the winter blues for the blues of that pool and the ocean?!

Speaking of blues, you'll be sad and blue if you miss out on this fabulous kit from Dixie Pieces...so, head to the Dixie Pieces website and get it now!

2 comments:

Connie Mercer said...

Oh i love how you used that die cut paper~just beautiful!!!!

Unknown said...

Can I just say WOW!?! You did an amazing job. Love it!